1,000 years ago, artists of the Mimbres Culture painted their pottery with sophisticated geometric designs, spiritual and sometimes whimsical interpretations of the wildlife and nature surrounding them. The March Hare in the Moon, the Bird with 4 Fish Stuck in its Neck and animals with decorated bodies are testimony to unique Mimbreño humor and creativity. The Macaw, placed in a circle, symbolized part of the Mimbres Culture's story of creation. Some of the images used in the original Mimbreño dinnerware (and HF Coors reproductions) are exact duplicates from actual, ancient Mimbreño pottery.
In 1936, Mary Jane Colter (architect/designer for Santa Fe Railway Co., Fred Harvey Co. and The Grand Canyon and authority on Southwestern Indians) was so moved by Mimbreño artwork she created 37 Mimbreño style drawings to fit on dinnerware pieces for the new SUPER CHIEF TWO elite dining car.
Today, the Santa Fe Railway Mimbreño dinnerware pieces are valuable collector’s items. Quality reproductions, made in the USA by HF COORS & licensed by BNSF Railway, are also highly sought after and wonderful additions to any collection.
- 3 oz Expresso Demitasse Cup & 5 3/4″ Saucer. Color “EL Tovar Black”
- HF Coors has matched the black to the black/gray Mimbreño dinnerware made for and used by the El Tovar Lodge at the Grand Canyon.
- Every piece HF Coors makes is lead-free, cadmium-free, dishwasher and microwave safe.
- HF Coors dinnerware is also ovenproof, broiler and freezer safe.
- Our dinnerware can go from freezer to oven, after it’s brought to room temperature in between.
- HF Coors supplies tableware to fine restaurants across the nation. If it’s durable enough to meet a restaurant’s rugged needs, it’s durable enough to last generations in your home.
- You can rest assured your dinnerware is the highest quality, most durable American made ceramic product available anywhere.